CIP Workshop Series and Organization
The CIP Workshop Series is a cornerstone of the CIP curriculum, designed to develop skills within the roles defined under the CanMEDS framework. By clicking on the Workshop Summary 2009-present, you will see the topics and frequency of workshops offered throughout a given year since 2009. It is updated regularly to assist trainees in planning their own seminars.
As each workshop is announced, trainees register their attendance by emailing the CIP Office.
All CIP trainees are required to help organize one workshop. Please use the Terms of Reference below to guide you.
- Enhance expertise for planning and implementing aspects of a clinician investigator training curriculum.
- Increase knowledge within chosen subject.
- Develop skills within roles under the CanMEDS framework.
Outline for setting up workshop:
- Choose topic from past list of topics or suggest new topic (contact CIP Office with proposal for new topic) at least two months prior to suggested seminar date.
- Recruit co-organizers (teams of 2-3) and determine roles and tasks as planning progresses.
- Develop outline for workshop (approximately one page) including goals, objectives, educational approach (including interactive learning format), choose potential speakers/presenters (UofT faculty/others as appropriate). Workshops should be 2-3 hours in duration.
- Contact CIP Director and CIP Coordinator to review workshop outline.
- Choose date/time for workshop with assistance of CIP Coordinator who will arrange location/zoom.
- Review workshop outline with speakers/presenters; meet if required to ensure effective program development and presentation, finalize AV and other requirements, handouts, etc. (up to one week prior).
- Provide CIP Coordinator with final workshop title, goals and objectives, short description of speakers, for timely advertisement (minimum one month).
- Develop a pre- and post-test consisting of five or more content questions and answer key, to be submitted to CIP office at least one week prior to workshop date.
- On day of workshop (for in-person meetings): Be available for set up at least 15 minutes prior to troubleshoot any technical issues. You will lead/chair workshop (team roles are assigned ahead of time): after introduction of workshop, outlining goals and objectives, administer pre-test to CIP trainees in attendance, allow approximately 5 -10 minutes for completion, and collect tests prior to introducing the speakers. Facilitate throughout workshop as needed. At conclusion of presentations thank speakers; distribute post-tests for completion by trainees (these are your learning indicators!). Specific tasks will depend upon the type of workshop you organize.
- Request workshop material (e.g. handout of slides, reference material) from speakers/presenters and ask CIP Coordinator to distribute to participants.
- Post-workshop: Assess pre/post-tests for workshop impact on learning and review feedback provided by CIP Coordinator; submit a short reflection piece (no more than one page) on the organizing and learning experience, and make recommendations for changes for future workshops.
Monday October 18, 2021
Topic: Delivering an Award-Winning Oral Presentation
Organizers: Julian Daza, Doula Hamad, Shelly Luu and Richard Walker